Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

There will be flowers and lunches out at lovely restaurants. Little ones will help Dad make breakfast and serve it to Mom--who only hopes the kitchen is not a destruction site. (Although she'd never say a word!) Honoring mothers...what a special idea.

Moms and those who do the work of moms are national treasures. For those of us who have offspring or who have adopted a young person to shepherd, it is a day we can stop for a second in this tumbling world and know that this is a moment to give thanks for the breath of fresh air in our lives. We can take our bows--and well we should. But on our way up our eyes settle on the face of the future. And we can thank them for giving us this happy day of days. Feet up, breakfast in bed, flowers on the table, WOW!

6 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day to you, too, Nancy! Just finished making a fabulous breakfast for my daughter and her husband so there were no feet up and breakfast in bed. But my husband did all the dishes so that was wonderful! And it was great to have one of my "children" here for the occasion. Have a happy day. Sincerely, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mother's Day!!! Hope your day is special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Mother's Day to you as well.

    Lunch at one daughter's house - paninis and salad and brownies glazed with hazelnuts and Nutella. I smiled a chubby smile all the way home. Then a phone call from other daughter, whom I spent the last week with, burping and bundling and feeding her newbie grandchild, a girl. I couldn't ask for more.

    I sit here, unwinding, and feeling that deep seated gratitude for all of the women in my life; young and old, those here to still mentor me and those long passed away whose love and examples still lead me forward. I have had a long and continuously widening circle of "mothers" who shepherd me along in so many ways. It is a good feeling, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I gave myself breakfast in bed (well, my kids are scattered across the country, so someone had to do it!), then indulged my love of movies by attending Alice in Wonderland. But the best part of my Mother's Day was thinking about all that my mom meant to me and the heritage of love she left me. I think of her daily. And so, she lives...
    Love, Karen Marline

    ReplyDelete