Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A Hint of Spring


By the time January draws to a close in places where snow is lingering long, a hint of spring is welcome. If you'd like to indulge in an online experience, explore the Lexington Company site. This is a Swedish firm that has a love affair with American style. You might think Ralph Lauren with Northern Lights. They don't have any shops in the United States, but they do in the United Kingdom and several other countries.

It's refreshing to see how Americana is appreciated by folks who see us through their own lens. Their dining collection this spring features my favorite blue and white. While you can't buy the items here or even online from the United States, you can get plenty of decorating ideas to perk up your own home on this side of the Atlantic.

I just loved the baby things and the photography of children. It's very much like looking at a magazine with not only primary images but also intriguing details. Stay long enough to view the movie--and think of New England beach houses. Show me blue and white checks and you've won my heart. There's a fabulous men's scarf that I bet you can replicate somehow. It's not that we are trying to take anything away from Lexington Company's sales, but if we can't buy things, we can at least be inspired by them.

Catalogs and retailers are getting more and more magazine- and movie-like--something those of us who love magazines, for example, need to take note of. A stylist friend of mine mentioned recently that the catalogs had all the whistles and bells she used to bring to magazines. Visiting Lexington Company is certainly an experience. They made me want to bring a hyacinth home and look longingly at iced tea glasses. Are you finding ways to brighten winter days with thoughts of the spring to come?

5 comments:

  1. Some people look at this as the hard time of winter, and, in many ways it is, but I like to think of it as the hopeful time. Days are slowly getting longer, the air feels ready to change, seed catalogues are arriving or in a pile to sort and choose. Yesterday was the real remedy, however. Our local garden club meeting was packed with members enjoying the opportunity to get out on a relatively calm day before this morning's snow and our presenter was from a regional farm that supplies our Farmers' Market as well as many others in the area. An excellent speaker with a wonderful power point presentation, one could just feel the energy emerging in the room as hope for spring and fresh local produce started to take hold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read a charming saying the other day: When the days lengthen, the cold strengthens! Where did I find this gem? In the delightful pages of the Betsy-Tacy books! How I missed these as a child who read everything that didn't gallop away fast enough (including ketchup labels, etc), is a mystery, but I'm making up for lost time. They have lovely seasonal chapters and the author clearly loves spring! Just reading the descriptions of spring coming to Manketo makes me snuggle deeper in my wingchair and imagine I hear the first chirpings of my returning feathered friends.
    I've been craving yellow tulips, too...and will buy myself a bunch for Valentine's Day. After all, how many people will be competing for them in the frantic scramble for red roses?
    Karen Marline, leaning towards the nearest sunray

    ReplyDelete
  3. A blue and yellow plaid tablecloth and pastel yellow placemats have definitely perked up the kitchen. I'm yearning for a hyacinth for the bathroom and bouquets of flowers from the supermarket in the other rooms. The dark, dreary days of winter call for color and warmth! Thanks for the tip on the Lexington Company. I will definitely check them out. Sincerely, Susan from writingstraightfromtheheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the time of year I must have fresh flowers. I have been forcing bulbs, and gathering flowering plants, and buying bunches of spring in a bouquet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like the poster above, I keep fresh flowers in my home and in my office all winter long. I crave color. Recently - taking advantage of sales - I bought a spice-colored long coat and a deep crimson jacket. I am thinking in terms of greens and creams for spring, but blue and white remain favorites. I will hurry over to Lexington...

    ReplyDelete